Hair extensions, just like your natural hair, need to be cared for correctly to ensure they last as long as possible. Since Hidden Crown uses 100% Remy human hair, you’ll want to be sure to care for these extensions as you would your own real hair. Here are some tips from us on how to properly groom and wash your extensions to keep them looking bright, fresh and beautiful!
How to wash your extensions:
Since hair extensions do not receive natural oils like the hair growing from your scalp, you’ll need to be careful when washing so they don’t become too dry. Here’s what you’ll need to wash your Remy human hair extensions: A soft bristle hairbrush, low pH/high moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, and a comb.
- Prior to washing, you must brush your extensions out to remove any knots or tangles. Start from the bottom and gently work your way up – make sure that you do not pull on the hair!
2. Next, wet your hair. Apply conditioner first before you start the actual washing so that the hair maintains moisture. Don’t rinse it yet!!
3. Apply shampoo on top of the conditioned extensions, then gently wash the strands. Rinse thoroughly with warm water once the hair has been completely lathered and washed.
4. Now, apply moisturizing conditioner to the rinsed hair. Rinse thoroughly again once the strands are covered in conditioner!
5. Wrap the hair in a towel and allow it to absorb the moisture. Do not rub the towel against the hair.
6. Use the comb and carefully work through the strands to remove any tangles or knots that may have formed from washing.
7. Let the extensions air dry.
*We recommend washing hair extensions every 3-5 days if you wear them daily.
Other Hair Extension care tips
Never sleep with wet hair, this can cause knots.
When you sleep with extensions in, it is recommended that you either braid your hair or wear a cap to prevent tangles and shedding.
When you style your hair, it’s best to run your fingers through your extensions. When you’re using a brush, only go in one direction as to prevent tangles from forming.
It’s recommended to do a deep conditioning on your hair extensions every week or so if you wear them daily.
If you are going to dye your extensions, make sure you have them done professionally. Stylists know which brands and formulas work best to keep the hair from becoming damaged during the coloring process.
Using heat often can damage hair and make them brittle and dry, just as your own hair, so heed caution if you want to iron or curl your extensions on a regular basis. Take proper precautions necessary so the hair doesn’t become burnt, dry or broken.
We hope that these tips helped you out! Make sure to always contact a stylist or haircare professional if you have any questions on how to care for your hair extensions.
Until next time, beauty queens!
XOXO, Hidden Crown